Click on the image for the original Top 10 Funniest Anime list
(Updated 2010) Originally posted on July 5th 2007, the “Top 10 Funniest Anime” has been by far the most popular post on my blog. It also have the most comments of anime fans giving thanks, throwing in their 2 cents and sharing their own favourites with others. There have also been cries for an updated list since last year – after all, the original list was created 2 years before that.
So after all the pushing, nudging and encouragement (especially WIZ and Vini) the new list is finally here!
Yes, it took me a looooong time to get the new top 10 sorted out. Believe it or not, I actually spent half a year re-watching most of the series in the old list so I could judge better against the newer series that was released after that.
And while some of the old series still made it back to the top 10, you will find plenty of new funny anime have conquered my list.
The usual disclaimer: This list is based on MY preference, on what I watched, what I liked and what I thought deserved to be here. I want to share with you on what I believe are excellent and funny anime series you should watch if you ever want a good laugh.
These are the series that always made me laughed till my tears came out, or at the very least puts a smile to my face even when I’m feeling down. Don’t underestimate the power of laughter!
Also, just because a series ranked higher than another doesn’t mean I prefer it over the lower ranking ones. It just means that I believe it to be funnier – this is a top 10 list of funniest anime, not my top 10 favourite anime. If you’re looking for that, check out the “What’s Hot” section on the sidebar for my yearly best 10. They’re always somewhere there.
And so the rants ends here. Let the show begin…
#10 Akazukin Cha Cha
- Little Red Riding Hood + Magical Girl = Cha Cha
- Huge and diversified cast, yet most are memorable
- Cha Cha & Co. can be really silly sometimes most of the time
- Still surprises me how the first 2 seasons of the anime is filler content, and they are also the best parts of the entire series. Goes to show fillers might not be so bad after all, eh?
#9 Hayate no Gotoku
- Debt ridden butler who seems to attract trouble and misfortune
- Lots of parodies and references to other anime and manga series
- Great animation quality
- Can really be over the top sometimes – in a good way
- Mio~~ Moe Moe Kyun~
- Superb music! (Don’t Say “LAZY”)
- Starts out rather slow, takes a few episodes before it really hooks you in, thanks to Mio
- Animation quality quite a let down, especially coming from KyoAni
#7 Ouran High Host Club
- Rich bastards with no common sense
- Poor guy girl with weird common sense
- Still think it’s one of the best anime/manga ever
- Can’t think of anything bad at all about Host Club, really…
#6 History’s Strongest Disciple, Kenichi
- Useless, no talent disciple training under the world’s best martial artists
- Ryouzanpaku masters are just insane – in more sense than one
- Great balance between comedy and action
- Sadly, the anime ended right before one of the best arcs in the manga
#5 Baka to Test to Shokanju
- Brand new anime from 2010
- School where students can summon avatars whose strength are directly linked to their test scores
- It’s so damn stupid, but oh so damn funny!
- The summoned beings are cute and funny too
- Great tear-jerker… and I mean tears of laughter, of course
#4 Ranma 1/2
- Boy who turns to girl when splashed with cold water
- Completely whacky cast and story
- Over 160 episodes (including movies and OAVs) and yet managed to be funny almost every episode (trust me, not an easy feat)
- Classic that will never die
Now, For The Top 3
Before we move on to the top 3, I just need to say this…
It took me a very long time and a lot of thinking, debating and rewatching to come up with the current order. I even thought of making it a 3-way tie for the title of Funniest Anime, but that didn’t felt quite right either.
These 3 series are just as good as the other and just as hilarious. I kept switching the top 3 spots between them as I made this update before finally deciding on this order.
All 3 deserved to be winners, but unfortunately each position can only be occupied by one show…
#3 Full Metal Panic FUMUFFO!
(Yes, the previous Funniest Anime title holder has been pushed down to #3! Oh noes!)
- Top secret mercernary on a mission with no common sense thrown into normal everyday life with not so normal situations
- Extreme opposite of the serious Full Metal Panic and FMP The Second Raid
- It was, and still is, one of the funniest anime around so far
- Bonta-kun exo-suit FTW!
#2 Lucky Star
- Omigosh! It’s… us!?
- Tons of parodies and references to otaku, gamers, other anime and mangas
- Funny and interesting cast
- Makes you go “holy shit! I do that!” and “hey! I know what you mean!”
- I just can’t get bored of watching Lucky Star x3
- Chocolate cornet…
#1 Minami-ke (Season 1)
- Lovable cast (Chiaki-sama~~~)
- “This is just the plain depiction of the days of the lives of the three Minami sisters. Please don’t expect too much.” The series tells you exactly what it is at the start of every episode lol
- Epic chase scene in first episode
- Forget Okawari (2nd season) ever existed, even skip it altogether!
- Okaeri (season 3) redeemed Minami-ke somewhat, but the first season is still the best and funniest
- Just can’t really get bored of season 1 and season 3 (like I said, forget season 2 ever existed and you’ll be fine!)
- Minami-ke At It’s Best!
And there you have it!
My Top 10 Funniest Anime list as of early 2010. I’ll definitely update this again in the future to keep it updated, but don’t worry… If you’re craving for more funny anime to watch, here are a few more to keep you company until the next update!
These are all shows that I’ve watched (at least a few episodes) that I find to be both entertaining and funny. While they didn’t make the top 10 or was dropped from the list doesn’t mean they aren’t great – it just means the competition for the list is just that tough!
Here they are, in no particular order of preference:
- Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge
- Zero no Tsukaima
- Love Hina
- Slam Dunk
- Seitokai no Ichizon
- Midori no Hibi
- Fruits Basket
- Hetalia Axis Powers
- Shugo Chara
- Ladies vs Butlers
- Honey and Clover
- Yakitate Japan
- Azumanga Daioh
- Seto no Hanayome
- Kamen no Maid Guy
- Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO)
- Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun
- Slayers series
- Rosario + Vampire
- Lovely Complex
- School Rumble
Originally, I wanted to add something extra with this update, but I couldn’t find the time to sit down and get it done. I won’t reveal what is it just yet because I still plan on doing it when I get the chance, hopefully within the next few weeks or next couple of months. How’s that for something to look forward to?